The Global Learning Hub is committed to promoting global learning opportunities for LGBTQIA+ students. Participation in global learning can be a great way to explore a passion, advance your academic/personal plans, enhance your resume, and connect with global communities. It can also be an opportunity to explore how LGBTQIA+ identities are perceived and experienced in varying or similar global learning environments.
The Global Learning Hub has partnered with the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual Resource Center to provide support and resources for LGBTQIA+ students participating in global learning opportunities.
Before you decide on a global learning opportunity, research potential challenges and consider what support is available in that global learning environment. Generally, acceptance and support of LGBTQIA+ issues is increasing in the U.S. and abroad, but intolerance still exists in laws, cultures and individuals. For a more positive and safe experience, research the following questions:
- What is the acceptance level in the location you are interested in?
- What are the local laws and customs regarding the LGBTQIA+ community?
- Are there particular cultural norms or expected behaviors?
- What resources and support are available in the location you are interested in?
The following resources can help when making decisions regarding your global learning experience:
- Diversity Abroad – A Roadmap for The Queer Study Abroad Experience
- Diversity Abroad – LGBTQ+ Students Abroad
- Equaldex – LGBT Rights by Country
- International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA)
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual Resource Center
- LGBTQIA Resource Center – LGBTQIA Ally Tips
- National Center for Transgender Equality – Passports
- National Center for Transgender Equality – Travel
- Outright International – Country Overviews
- TSA – Transgender/Non Binary/Gender Nonconforming Passengers
- U.S. State Department – LGBTQI+ Travelers
Funding Opportunity—Global Aggies Award for LGBTQIA+ Rights
The Global Aggies Award for LGBTQIA+ Rights encourages and supports UC Davis student global learning and engagement regarding the issues that LGBTQIA+ communities and individuals face around the world. This award provides students with funding to learn about and advance LGBTQIA+ wellbeing and rights globally, including through international, USA-based, or virtual activity. Grants range from a minimum of $500 to a maximum of $2,500.